Monday, April 9, 2012

Velasco Named Student-Athlete of the Week

STUDENT-ATHLETE OF THE WEEK


Name: Tricia Velasco

Age: 22

Year: Senior

Sport: Softball/Tennis

Position: Catcher/1B

Major: Biology

Minor: Neuroscience and Psychology

A native of Valdosta, Ga., senior Tricia Velasco has played just about every sport Wesleyan has to offer over the course of her four years at the school. She is currently a member of the tennis team and plays catcher and first base for the Pioneer softball team. When she first arrived on campus, she played both soccer and basketball, but a knee injury she suffered during her sophomore year forced her to stop playing those sports and turn to new ones.

Velasco joined the softball team her junior year when roster numbers were down and has started nearly every game either at catcher or first base since then. This year, as a senior, she picked up tennis and has played several matches for the Pioneers at the No. 3 or No. 4 singles spot when matches didn’t overlap with softball games.

“For the past 4 years, I have been steadily committed to athletics and the organizations I'm involved in. People usually call me crazy for doing all the things I'm doing and for playing 2 sports at once, but I thoroughly enjoy what I do and am passionate about them. I've enjoyed learning new sports and being able to help out the teams who needed another player. In other words, I'm glad to have made an impact one way or another.”


1) Why did you choose to attend Wesleyan College?

I chose to attend Wesleyan because of the close-knit environment it provided when I first visited here. From that moment on, I knew this was going to be the place where I could grow and take advantage of opportunities that came my way.

2. You have participated in several sports during your time at Wesleyan. How has your participation in athletics helped enhance your collegiate experience thus far?

It has definitely taught me how to multi-task! I've learned to be more flexible and to better adapt to situations since I've had to learn new positions and even new sports while at Wesleyan.

3. This year you added an internship in Athletic Training to your schedule. Describe your time working with Christine Clancy and the impact it has had on your own athletic participation.

Working with Christine has made me appreciate all the hard work she puts towards athletes and the athletics program in general. She's like the glue that keeps us together. As for the impact it’s had on me, I don't need WebMD anymore to tell me what's wrong with me, because I have a better knowledge of what could potentially be wrong.

4. What are your plans for the future?
I've recently made some connections to an unexpected career field with computers. I plan on trying that out for a bit and see if it's the right fit. I'll probably go to school at the same time pursuing either nursing or athletic training.