Sunday, January 15, 2012

Lindsay Haggerty Named Student-Athlete of the Week (Jan. 15)

Name: Lindsay Haggerty

Age: 24

Year: Junior

Sport: Basketball

Position: Guard/Forward

Major: Early Childhood Education

Minor: Undeclared

Lindsay Haggerty, a junior transfer from Georgia College and State University, is originally from Battle Creek, Mich., but now makes her home in Danville, Ga. She is a welcome addition to the Pioneer basketball team this season, bringing with her a great deal of experience from her playing days at the NCAA Division II level.

Through seven games played thus far this season, she leads the team in a number of statistical categories. She currently ranks first in total points scored (99), points per game (14.1), free throw attempts (54), free throws made (39), free throw percentage (72.2%), offensive rebounds (27), total rebounds (50), rebounds per game (7.1) and steals (20). She has been the team’s leading scorer in six out of seven games and has accumulated three double-doubles to date.

When she is not in the gym or studying for her classes, she enjoys spending time with her fiancĂ©, Benji, who is a 10-year veteran of the Macon Bibb Fire Department. With their wedding planned for this May, this city girl is learning how to live life on the farm with their three dogs, 10 goats, and countless chickens, turkeys, guineas, and geese. “I love the country girl life, and although it is somewhat new, I would not trade it for anything. One of my favorite things to do on the weekends now is attend the Middle Georgia chicken and goat sale!”

1. What drew you to Wesleyan College?

The reputation of Wesleyan's academic achievement was what really drew me to the college. After becoming interested in the college, I talked to numerous alumni who were also education majors and they all told me that if they could, they would do it over again. I felt like I needed a change and Wesleyan was at the top of my list for bettering my education.

2. How has your experience at Wesleyan been different than the one you had at GCSU?

My experience has been dramatically different at Wesleyan versus GCSU. After only being at Wesleyan for one semester, I would say my experience is far better than the two years I attended GCSU. It was a great school, but it was not for me. The large classrooms were extremely intimidating to me and I was never able to develop a healthy student-teacher relationship with my professors. As for the school work and effort I have put into my studies, I think that Wesleyan is a bit more challenging, but all of my professors have been there to help me along the way if I had any questions or problems with the material. I feel as if the professors really do want me to succeed.

3. What has your experience on the court been like thus far this season?

This year has been a struggle, but those of us on the team have really stuck together and bonded through these past couple months. I know we are giving it 110%, and although it is not seen on the score board, we can really only continue to get better. The team has really learned to show no fear and that is something anyone should admire. The coaching staff has really been there for us, and I believe with time, Coach Walton can change the reputation of Wesleyan basketball and develop it into an extremely successful program. Our team has heart, and I really do enjoy playing basketball with this group of girls.

4. What are your plans for the future?

My plans are to graduate with a major in Early Childhood Education and go on to pursue a Masters in Education. I would love to teach first grade but will teach in any grade K-5 in Houston, Jones, or Bleckley County since they are all closer to my home in Twiggs County. I also would really like to coach basketball and track and field.