Sunday, January 22, 2012

Lumley Named Student-Athlete of the Week (Jan. 22)

STUDENT-ATHLETE OF THE WEEK (JAN. 22)

Name: Kayla Lumley
Age: 21
Year: Senior
Sport: Softball
Position: Pitcher/Shortstop
Major: Early Childhood Education
Minor: Reading

Senior Kayla Lumley, who transferred to Wesleyan from Andrew College prior to the start of her junior year, has been playing softball for as long as she can remember. Her mother tells her that her first word was ‘ball,’ and she has always had a passion for playing and has never slowed down since her childhood.

Strongly influenced by her grandfather, Kayla wears a necklace with a #7 charm on it that he gave her in the ninth grade in his memory. “My Papa always told me to never let anyone stop me from being all I could be. He told me to be great at what I did and to work very hard. This has never left my mind. He was my biggest fan and having that necklace to wear is a constant reminder to do my best.”

The 2011 season marked Lumley’s first with the Pioneers. She will open 2012 as the team’s top returner in nearly every statistical category including batting average (.325), slugging percentage, on base percentage, runs scored, hits, total bases and stolen bases. Furthermore, when the team needed someone to step up as a relief pitcher last year, the shortstop took it upon herself to work on that aspect of her game. She pitched 52 innings and finished the season with 10 complete games.


1. What drew you to Wesleyan College?

I came to Wesleyan College because of the Education program. I had also met the softball coach during my years at Andrew College because we scrimmaged a few times, and I knew I wanted to help build the softball program while I was here.

2. How has your experience at Wesleyan differed from your time at Andrew College?

My time at Wesleyan differs from when I was at Andrew because I am more focused on my academics and less on athletics. I have grown up a lot since I have come to Wesleyan and I’ve started working harder towards my future goals. I have also matured on the field and I have embraced the idea of furthering our athletic program.

3. How has your participation in athletics helped enhance your collegiate experience?

Being a leader on the athletic field has given me more confidence in the classroom. Playing sports has also taught me how to manage my time so that I get all the work done both on the field and in the classroom. I have had to give my best in both areas, and I think those two things go hand in hand.

4. What are your plans for the future?

My plan is to teach either in Bibb County or one of the surrounding counties so that I can pursue my Masters of Education from the wonderful professors here at Wesleyan.