Sunday, February 12, 2012

Plue Named Student-Athlete of the Week

STUDENT-ATHLETE OF THE WEEK

Name: Anna Plue
Age: 21
Year: Senior
Sport: Equestrian and Volleyball
Position: Western (Equestrian)/Right Side (Volleyball)
Major: Studio Art
Minor: Art History

A native of Appling, Ga., senior Anna Plue is a dual sport athlete who competes for both the volleyball and equestrian teams at Wesleyan College. Known for excellence both athletically and academically, she earned the Scholar Athlete of the Year award at the end of her junior year for holding the highest grade point average of any Pioneer student-athlete. She has also earned a spot on the GSAC Academic All-conference team each of the last two seasons.

As a member of the equestrian team, Plue competes in the Western horsemanship division. She recently earned enough points to move up a division and qualified to compete at Regionals at Evermore Farm in Statesboro Georgia on March 4. Based on her performance there, she could potentially move on to compete and Zones and ultimately Nationals.

1. Why did you choose to attend Wesleyan College?
I chose Wesleyan because I really liked all the art professors and thought that a small program would give me a better education in a field that really is rather personal. I also loved that there were horses on campus. And I was able to get a good scholarship.

2. You have decided to participate in two sports during your time at Wesleyan. How has your participation in athletics helped enhance your collegiate experience thus far?
Having the support of teammates has been nice. Sometimes I don't know what I would do without them.

3. You have maintained a very high GPA while balancing the demands of athletics. How have you been able to achieve this?
I just get done what needs to get done. If it is something I want to do, I do it to the best of my abilities.

4. What are your plans for the future?I plan to graduate in May, but after that I don't really know just yet. I hope to eventually get into a career as an animator or working to make practical effects/ special effects for movies.